My beloved spiritual children in Christ Our Only True God and Our Only True Savior,
CHRIST IS IN OUR MIDST! HE WAS, IS, AND EVER SHALL BE. Ο ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΕΝ ΤΩ ΜΕΣΩ ΗΜΩΝ! ΚΑΙ ΗΝ ΚΑΙ ΕΣΤΙ ΚΑΙ ΕΣΤΑΙ.
THE FATHER GLYNOS YEARS OF DIAKONIA AT SAINT ANDREW'S PARISH: 1951-1954
Reverend Father Constantine Glynos was serving as parish priest of the Pullman, Illinois, Greek Orthodox Church when he was assigned by His Eminence Archbishop Michael to replace Father Arcadiou. He had been born and educated in Constantinople. Following his formal education, he graduated from the Theological School of Halki in Turkey, the most prestigious Theological Institution of Greek Orthodoxy and Ecumenical Patriarchate. He was ordained to the Priesthood in 1930 as a celibate priest. In 1933 he left for America, going directly to Chicago. He served there for 18 years as the proistamenos (parish priest) and principal of the Greek-American Parochial Schools of Saint Constantine and Saint Spyridon of Chicago.
Father Glynos was, by virtue of a constitutional requirement the president of the Parish Council. With the changing of the guard, the commitment of the parish to embark on a new building program was renewed. Father Glynos was apprised early on of the fund raising plans that were being made.
Prior to his assignment, the parish assembly had ratified a building program which called for a social-educational building to be raised on the east side of the church, after which the church was to be completely remodeled to match the architectural design of the new building. To this end, an executive building committee was elected.
In spite of these preparations, several members of the parish began looking at some churches that were available at the time. A number of the parishioners went to look at the old Presbyterian church on the southwest corner of West Washington and Lafayette Blvd., but no action was taken.
On April 12, 1954, The South Bend Tribune printed the following article:
"Right Rev. Bishop Ezekiel of Chicago, new spiritual leader of 80 Midwest Greek Orthodox Church parishes, will visit South Bend Tuesday.
His Grace Bishop Ezekiel will examine the facilities of the Grace Methodist church, 760 South Michigan Street, which has been offered for sale to Saint Andrew's Greek Orthodox Church. Bishop Ezekiel's examination of the proposed new Hellenic church was in accordance with the canons of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America. The new bishop, formerly Dean of the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Theological School, Brookline, Mass. also will officiate at a Presanctified Liturgy at 7:00 p.m. at Saint Andrew."
Father Constantine Glynos was a great negotiator; bringing certain groups together to show them the "new" facilities, he was able to convince everyone of their quality. For example considerable time was spent with the ladies of the Good Samaritan Club, pointing out the large kitchen area and the large hall in the basement.
The building itself was imposing for its day, especially with its huge Greek style columns which gave it the appearance of an ancient Greek Temple. In addition, the sanctuary faced the east as was required by the Holy Tradition of the Orthodox Church. This helped to convince those who were skeptical. In the end, the parish assembly ratified the purchase agreement. While the church was purchased and paid for on May, 1954, the parish did not take possession of the property for almost two years. The first service was conducted on July 24, 1956. However, Father Constantine Glynos was not meant to officiate.
On November 14, 1954, Father Constantine Glynos announced that he was leaving the priesthood. He had decided to get married and as a result would be leaving the parish.
A committee of parishioners went to Chicago to meet with His Grace Bishop Ezekiel and seek his guidance and assistance. The parish committee discovered that the Bishop had been keeping up with the achievements of the parish and its current dilemma. The Bishop offered to facilitate the transfer of Father Arcadiou who was serving the Prophet Elias church at San Bernardino, CA. back to Saint Andrew in South Bend as soon as possible.
With the return of Father Arcadiou, everything in the parish began to move smoothly. The remodeling of the Grace Methodist church was progressing.
Father Arcadiou eventually really retired and while visiting Steven Tsalikis and his sisters at Niles, Illinois, he became ill. On November 8th, 1966, the Right Rev. Arcadios Arcadiou fell asleep in the Lord, and honoring his wish that he be buried at the Southlawn Cemetery, alongside his parishioners and spiritual children.
Once again, the South Bend Tribune featured an article on Reverend Arcadios Arcadiou on November 21, 1966. His obituary stated the following:
"Greek Orthodox Church Leader dies. Rites for Arcadiou to be held at Saint Andrew's.
Right Rev. Arcadios Arcadiou, 76, Archimandrite of the Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America, and former spiritual leader of the Greek Orthodox parish of St. Andrew in South Bend for over 18 years, died at 5:30 p.m. Sunday, at Lutheran General Hospital in Niles, Ill. after a three month illness.
He will lie in state at Saint Andrew's Greek Orthodox Church, 760 South Michigan Street from 2 to 9 p.m. Tuesday. Funeral services were held at 1 p.m. on Wednesday. Following the Divine Liturgy and Funeral service he was buried in Southlawn Cemetery.